5 Tips To Avoid Putting On Holiday Pounds

We all tend to put on a few extra pounds during the holiday, right? Its cold, it gets dark way too early, we are wearing long clothes that cover the fat and there are so many opportunities to indulge! I feel it is normal to put on a few extra pounds in the winter months as your body is naturally trying to give you a little more insulation and warmth! But the problem is, a lot of people just drop the ball, stop exercising and put on way too much weight over the holidays! Then the New Year rolls in and the same people make big resolutions to shed off all that weight, go through intense diets and cleanses and once summer passes by the same cycle of weight gain begins.

So what are some things you can do right now to avoid that crazy holiday weight gain and enjoy this amazing time of the year?

1. Set The Right Intension:

I had to practice this for a while before it became a habit! When you wake up in the morning, take a few minutes to set an intension for your day and also think about how you want to feel the next morning. It sounds simple but it really is a game changer. Just take a few minutes to list (physically list) what you want just for that day or the immediate future to feel happy or stress free and what actions will support the results you want.
For example:
What do you want? I want to feel really fresh and energetic tomorrow morning.
How will you support this? I will exercise because I feel great after it, I will eat food that will nourish by body and I will get 6-8 hours of sleep tonight.
What do you want? I want to feel less stressed out about the Thanksgiving party I am hosting this week.
How will you support this? I will send out a potluck invitation so I don’t have to cook everything myself. I will plan and start cooking a few days in advance so I don’t have to stress out that day. I will use paper plates and cups so that I don’t have to deal with all the cleaning and washing after.

2. Move Your Body!

It’s the holidays, right! But it’s not a holiday from regular exercise. Moving your body and staying physically active should be a non-negotiable part of your life. That does not mean that you need to hit the gym and do an intense workout every single day, but you can definitely squeeze in a brisk walk with your family and friends or do a home workout even during the holidays!!! Remember, you can eat more if you burn more.

3. Follow the 80/20 Rule:

Yes, it’s the season of weddings, celebrations and parties! And life would be so boring if you didn’t enjoy these special occasions. So, what if you eat healthy, home cooked food 80% of the time, so that you can indulge the rest of the 20% of the time? Its, pretty simple. Eat clean, wholesome food 6 days a week so that you earn that heavy meal when you go out to your event. Makes sense, right?

4. Be OK with Fit Shaming:

If you are living a healthy lifestyle, I am sure you are judged, because I am constantly! So, you can’t eat this? Is this too unhealthy for you? OMG, you are actually having dessert? You look too skinny! You look too muscular! I have heard it all  and I am perfectly ok with it.  Just remember everyone has the right to his or her opinion. You have chosen a path that will give you major long-term health benefits, so don’t be afraid to own it.

5. Don’t Do It Alone:

Everything becomes harder if you are the odd one out! It is up to you to find the support you need. This time of the year is great to find a group of friends or even a single person who can be your accountability partner. Also it is so much more fun if you can workout together or go to a party with the same intension.

Ok that’s it. I hope you can use some of these tips this holiday season. Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

Much Love,